Monday, November 14, 2011

1750 Tournament Report - Imperial Guard

I was fortunate enough to attend a 1750 point tournament this past Sunday at Gigabytes Café in Marietta GA.  It is one of the best game stores that the Atlanta area has to offer.  The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and they have a full blown restaurant quality kitchen right in the store.



On to the report!



I took Imperial Guard.  I don’t travel with this army any more because it is just too much of a hassle.  I break it out for local tournaments every now and then and it is a nice break from my Blood Angels since it plays so differently.

I play Catachan.  What is there not to love about 100 little Rambos?

My list!



1750 Pts - Imperial Guard Roster - Gigabyte Guard List - Paul Murphy



Total Roster Cost: 1750



HQ: Company Command Squad (6#, 160 pts)

   2 Company Command Squad, 44 pts = 2 * 6 (base cost 6) + Plasma gun x2 30 + w/Lascannon 32

      1 Veteran Heavy Weapon Team, 30 pts = (base cost 10 + Lascannon 20)

      1 Company Commander, 31 pts = (base cost 26 + Melta Bombs 5)

      1 Chimera, 55 pts



Elite: Psyker Battle Squad (8#, 135 pts)

   6 Psyker Battle Squad, 60 pts = 6 * 10

      1 Overseer, 20 pts

      1 Chimera, 55 pts



Elite: Psyker Battle Squad (8#, 135 pts)

   6 Psyker Battle Squad, 60 pts = 6 * 10

      1 Overseer, 20 pts

      1 Chimera, 55 pts



Heavy Support: Hydra Flak Tank Battery (2#, 150 pts)

   1 Hydra Flak Tank Battery, 0 pts

      1 Hydra Flak Tank, 75 pts

      1 Hydra Flak Tank, 75 pts



Heavy Support: Leman Russ Squadron (1#, 230 pts)

   1 Leman Russ Squadron, 0 pts

      1 Leman Russ Executioner, 230 pts = (base cost 190 + Plasma Cannon Sponsons x2 40)



Heavy Support: Manticore Rocket Launcher (1#, 160 pts)

   1 Manticore Rocket Launcher, 160 pts



Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 175 pts)

   7 Veteran Squad, 79 pts = 7 * 7 (base cost 7) + Meltagun x3 30

      1 Veteran Heavy Weapon Team, 34 pts = (base cost 14 + Lascannon 20)

      1 Veteran Sergeant, 7 pts

      1 Chimera, 55 pts



Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 175 pts)

   7 Veteran Squad, 79 pts = 7 * 7 (base cost 7) + Meltagun x3 30

      1 Veteran Heavy Weapon Team, 34 pts = (base cost 14 + Lascannon 20)

      1 Veteran Sergeant, 7 pts

      1 Chimera, 55 pts



Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 175 pts)

   7 Veteran Squad, 79 pts = 7 * 7 (base cost 7) + Meltagun x3 30

      1 Veteran Heavy Weapon Team, 34 pts = (base cost 14 + Lascannon 20)

      1 Veteran Sergeant, 7 pts

      1 Chimera, 55 pts



Troops: Veteran Squad (11#, 190 pts)

   7 Veteran Squad, 94 pts = 7 * 7 (base cost 7) + Plasma gun x3 45

      1 Veteran Heavy Weapon Team, 34 pts = (base cost 14 + Lascannon 20)

      1 Veteran Sergeant, 7 pts

      1 Chimera, 55 pts



Elite: Guardsman Marbo (1#, 65 pts)

   1 Guardsman Marbo, 65 pts



Let me first explain that taking two Psyker Battle Squads is sexy.  Some lists have absolutely no answer for them.  For the lists that have the 50/50 stopping power for them you’ve got a second dose of the neg leadership love to dish out.

I swear by my heavy support choices.  The Hydras never disappoint.  They are able to dish out enough fire power that they can put wounds on almost any unit or stop anything under AV 14 from moving or firing.  They absolutely destroy lightly armored vehicles or troops.  If people are close enough where the heavy bolters can fire it is almost twice the fun.

The Executioner is why I play this list.  It’s awesome.  Take it.. Love it..

My first game was against a Daemon list. I take terrible (no) notes so my details on his list is shaky.

He took Fateweaver, a Blood Thirster and ton of Daemon Princes as his core. He had a few plague bearer units to serve as troops and two units of three blood crushers.

I am not exaggerating when I say this game was over in seven (7) minutes.  He suffered from two mishaps on turn one, resulting in a destroyed blood thirster and a destroyed nurgle daemon prince, and the only thing he had on the table was Fateweaver and a unit of crushers.

The executioner picked up the crushers and the two psyker battle squads and the hydras dispatched Fateweaver.

The next turn he had another mishap that ended in a destroyer slaanesh daemon prince.  He extended the hand and then we had three hours to kill until the next round.

My second opponent was Dark Eldar.

His list was raider and ravager spam with a good mix of warriors and wytches.  I won the roll to go first but he seized the initiative. He destroyed three tanks, including my beloved executioner, and I thought I was sunk.  He was rolling hot.

On my turn my dice lit up as well and I grounded or shook 90% off his vehicles. He was almost completely on foot heading toward me at this point and it turned into a bloodbath.   I sat in my chimeras and murdered dark eldar for two more turns. We called it on turn 4 when he was out of figures.

Round Three was more of the same against Dark Eldar.  My opponent seemed like he might have been a little new to the game.  He was not prepared to deal with the firepower of the guard.

We called it on round 4 as well.  I ended the tournament with 142 out of a possible 150 battle points. I was unable to get all the bonus points in the second game because of the way the mission was written (basically impossible to get all the bonus points – it needed your opponent to cooperate with you in order to do so).

The missions were original and the venue was great.  There was some serious sportsmanship all around and that is about all you can ask for.  I was lucky enough to take home the number one slot and some decent loot at the end of the day.



No comments: